As Red Star Digital turns five in September 2013, we thought we’d take the opportunity to reflect on some of the major changes we’ve seen in the digital marketing landscape in the last five years, so here is our top five:
- Lady Gaga has more followers than the population of Poland – the popularity of social media has accelerated over the last 5 years and is now fundamental part of an organisation’s web presence. Any brand can now connect and engage with its customers on a personal level – which can reap enormous benefits for organisations as well as presenting new and unique challenges too.
- More people own mobiles than toothbrushes – there was always a bit of a joke at digital conferences pre-2006 that it was predicted that the following year would be the ‘year of the mobile’. With Smartphone penetration now at ‘64%’, it’s opened up a whole world of opportunities for businesses to further engage with their audiences and customers – and with mobile internet set to imminently overtake fixed line access, businesses really do need to think ‘mobile first’.
- From silos to Omni-channel – five years ago there may have been a ‘digital marketing’ team that sat in a small corner of the office (usually made up of the office geeks!), digital need to be much more integrated with the rest of the business. Organisations are now expected to work across multiple channels and provide a seamless customer experience.
- Ever increasing digital ad spend along with increased media and audience fragmentation – spend on digital advertising has increase by over 30% in the last five years, with mobile, social media and video formats driving much of this growth. The rise in spend has been mirrored by an increasingly fragmented media landscape where the TV ad is no longer the only answer to reach the mass market – businesses now have a whole host of opportunities to reach a variety of audiences.
- Content is still king – while website content was important five years ago, the nature of content as well as its form has changed significantly, making content marketing a key buzz terms over the last two years. Businesses are now required to create engaging content that encourages sharing and interactions. Content now stretches beyond a simple website or blog and includes video, infographics and imagery.
Much has changed in digital in the last five years, but at Red Star Digital some things have not; we still work exceptionally hard to deliver and continually improve our client digital marketing campaigns. We hope you will join us in raising a glass to celebrate our 5th Birthday!